Do you want to password protect folder?
Everybody want to password protect folder who have some important documents or some personal things that we don’t want to show to anybody.
So, Today I will tell you How To Password Protect A Folder With Step By Step Guide.So before starting to learn how to put a password on a folder lets check out a quick overview on how to lock a folder.
To password protect folder you just need to use software, or you can do it directly via Windows or by making rar file but it is a little bit buggy.
So let’s learn How To Password Protect A Folder.
How To Password Protect A Folder On Microsoft Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10 users: –
It is not possible to password protect folder in windows.The only way to password protect folder by using third party application.But you can encrypt a folder on Microsoft windows.So here is the steps on how to encypt a folder on Microsoft windows.
1.Select your folder or the file you want to encrypt it.
2.After selecting the folder Right-click on the folder and click on properties.
3.After clicking on properties click on an advance button.
4.Now you will see a box for “Encrypt contents to secure data” click on it.
5.Now click on apply then ok button.
Note : – If you are not able to click on “Encrypt contents to secure data” or it is not selectable or grayed out or you do not see that option this must be you are using windows xp or home edition that does not support this option.
How To Password Protect A Folder By Using FolderGuard: –
As you know It is not possible to password protect folder in windows.The only way to password protect folder by using third party application.So here are the steps on How To Password Protect A Folder By Using FolderGuard.
1.To password protect folder you need to download FolderGuard application.
2.After downloading FolderGuard Application go to your folder which you want to lock
3.Now just follow the the instruction by folderguard and lock your folder or file
How To Password Protect A Folder By Using Folder Lock: –
2.After downloading Folder Lock Application go to your folder which you want to lock
3.Now just follow the instruction by folder lock and lock your folder or file
How To Password Protect A Folder By Making Rar File: –
2.After downloading rar making Application go to your folder which you want to lock
3.Now just right click on that file or folder.
4.After right clicking on file, you will see an add to archive option just click on that now you need to add password in encryption
How to Password Protect a Folder in Mac OS
- To password protect a folder in mac turn on Terminal from Spotlight or the Utility folder in Applications. Then white down cd Desktop will appear and Hit the Enter key to focus Terminal on your desktop.
- After that you have to type zip -e Tab.zip Tab.mp4/*. As I named it Tab.mp4 before, So it should be the same as folder name. What’s more, Locking folder must add code /*.
- Press Enter again, Now you will need write Enter password and Verify password. After a moment, your folder will be converted to ZIP format. If you want to view it, you have to give a right password.
Some Other Password Protector For Windows
- AxCrypt – An excellent free encryption utility that enables users to encrypt all files within a folder and not allow those files to be viewed unless a passphrase (password) is known.
- Protected Folder- This application requires a small fee, it’s an excellent software program that enables you to password protect your files.
- MacFort – MacFort enables you to easily encrypt and protect your most sensitive files.It is an Mac software to password protect folder
Things to remember Before encrypting or password protecting files and folders
- There is no such software to provide you 100% percent security. There are many tools, utilities, and instructions, tricks to how to break encryption and password on folder or files.However, the protection methods that I have told you above will protect your files from the majority of users. If you are working with some very important documents or file, I suggest you a commercial product for protecting your data.
- Even though a file or data may be password protected, it can be deleted (until the program supports the features to protect files from being deleted). Always remember one thing to backup all your data, even your protected file by passwords.
- If you forget or lose the password and you are willing to spend the time attempt to break it or pay someone else to remove the password or break it, all the data in your file or folder will be lost.So it is very important to backup a copy of the all non-password protected files or folders, just in case.